Tuesday 12 July 2011

Blossoming...

I am busy busy busy with the Half Moon Bakery concept.
The Big Feastival by Mr Jamie Oliver and spurred me on drive this baby home to London in September so I really hope it will be recieved with hungry mouths to fill with cake.
I have sent endless emails to suppliers and chefs to help me with the plans and I am still doing my orders for the Norwich cafes and my private orders too. I am apporaching Waitrose with my Pick-Me-Up Bars so fingers crossed, that all folk will be able to enjoy them wherever they might live.


This week I have been experimenting with Gluten Free and vegan cakes. For Pulse Cafe, I wanted to keep my mark of a creative flavour but safe for vegan chaps and chicks. I created a new one for my "Bake me a Bunch of Flowers" range and made a lovely Hazelnut and Rose Cake.

Also I made some summery Camomile and Courgette fairycakes which have a lovely subtle flavour and, don't worry, you can't taste the courgette. It is completely hidden. Miranda Hart gave a quote on "King Of.." on Friday when she, and host Claudia Winkleman, were disuccing what should win the Kinf Of the Biscuit Title. Miss Hart said that a Garabaldi biscuit hould not even be considered and it contains fruit and "fruit in a biscuit is fruit out of context, I want a biscuit not a piece of fruit - what's next? Chicken Sponge?" No Miranda, I will not be experiment with chicken sponge, and certainly not in my Pulse orders, no need to drop those forks vegans- my cakes only hide vegetables. Whilst Miranda has a point, if you want a light and buttery cake then why eat one with a vegetable addition? well the courgette is not on view, not like a fruit cake which is openly brandishing natures crop, my Vegetable Patch cakes are not additions  for flavour or colour nor are they on show and advertising their veggie status. Can you really see a child eating a cake that takes the form of a green vegetable - I think not. These are playful cakes, the vegetables are the champs of hide and seek. The cakes are and should still be enjoyed as cakes, they are temptingly sweet so Miranda and other tasters would be completely oblivious to Mr Courgette quietly hiding under the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment