Sunday 2 October 2011

Oh I do Like to be Beside the Seaside!


Mr Sun was shining happily on the sandy beach and was rose tinting the whole of Margate. I admit, and I'm sorry Margate for this assumption, that I thought Margate and all its surrounding towns were filled with OAPs and that anyone over 70 was considered a spring chicken. I hold my hands up, I apologise, I was most definitely wrong and refreshingly suprised. Margate is rich and fruitful with all things me - lots of pop up art galleries and studios, pastel painted vintage shops full of fur collars, trilbys and box leather purses, streams of bunting link each corner of the tiny village, a toy village in quaintness and delight. Fish and chips packed in treasure chest boxes stamped with a blue fish, open cobbled plazas scattered with chairs, brimming with shoppers and spectators sipping expressos while gazing at the glossy sea, and the gleaming glass structure of the Turner Gallery, a sculpture, an art work in itself. Yes Margate you proved me well and truly WRONG.

Half Moon Bakery would fit in on several levels, one of which is that it emphasizes the family heritage and recipes as my mother and father, grandprrents and their parents, and their parents all grew up int he area. Mr Edmund Sydney Linington was Mayor of Thanet and you'll be able to find a road named after him in Birchington and the infamous Somali Farm, built up over many hardworking Linington Men is nestled in its glory over the fields of Thanet. Many childhood memories of mine are of paddling at Minnis Bay, playing the two penny slots on the pier, visiting my lovely Godmother at Westgate, holding Christingles at Birchington Carol Service, it makes sense to move to a place that I remember with a sile of sweet nostalgia and love.

After several days property searching and getting a feel for the place, my heart is set on Margate. Bravo!... and with final viewings taking place this tuesday, a decision should be made by the end of the week. Gaggy Walker's Rock Buns are coming home, on the fast train of course!

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to see pictures of Margate and Somali!

    Looking forward to having the perfect excuse for spending time at the seaside!

    ReplyDelete